Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Playing It Safe

Today, I made a big decision... not to purchase something.

And while a large part of me feels like that was the responsible thing to do, the grown-up thing to do... the other part of me wants to throw myself on the ground and throw a temper tantrum because I didn't get what I want.

Cue Violet from Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory: But DADDY, I want it NOW!!!

The angel on my shoulder says, good job! That's the responsible 27-year-old girl we know and love. Use that extra cash to book yourself a massage!

And the devil on my shoulder says, are you scared to take risks?

Ugh. That's the thought that cuts me to the core.  Because I always want to take risks. I want to challenge myself and yes, do things that scare me. 

And the thought of playing it safe seems so... boring. So rational.

Where's the line between being responsible... and being cautious?

What's the right kind of risk to take?

My dad is taking a risk right now- and I couldn't be more proud of him. It's the right kind of risk. And I don't have a list of pros and cons for it; I just know.

So is that the determining factor? Something in our gut just tells us this is the right thing to do?

I guess that's where faith comes in. We can't possibly know if the risks we're taking- or not taking- are right or wrong without a lot of prayer... and even more faith. 

Today, I have to, I need to accept that this wasn't the risk I was supposed to take.

But tomorrow?  All bets are off.

1 comment:

  1. I'm struggling with this right now too. Will I look back in a year or five and wish I'd done this? Or will I think, thank goodness I was responsible and saved that money.... It's a fine line between living life to the fullest (taking that vacation I really I want to take!) or accepting that this just isn't the right time. Ugh, I'd really like to be Violet right now...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...