Monday, November 14, 2011

Emo-Running

Today, I came up with a new term I will use from now on:

"Emo-running."

Let me preface this by saying... today I started my week-long shift as morning producer for "Live from the Lawn", the broadcast my company airs online two weeks out of every month. For the last... 2 years?... I did the night shift, working until 10 or 11 every night.  And just a few months ago, I switched over to the morning shift, where I arrive at work at 6am every day.

Which means my alarm goes off at 4:45am every day.

No complaints, mind you. I am forever thankful to do a job I actually like, with people I really love.

But.... there's just no amount of coffee to make 4:45am bearable.

SO- onto the emo-running:

I woke up at 4:45, aka 5:30... quick shower, Keurig-coffee-to-go, hit the road.

Produced all morning... then spent the afternoon slightly bleary-eyed and numb; the first 6am work day is always brutal.

What were we talking about?  Oh yeah, emo-running....

...but first- you know when you have a really long day, and you're tired, and people tell you all day long how you look?  You get the "you look tired" or "you look worried" or "you look so serious when you sing" (true comment from the day; and yes, I'm known for singing in the studio).

When people tell you how you look all day, and they aren't necessarily saying "you look beautiful"... you just kind of feel... low.

Then, Facebook decides to throw a wrench in the engine by suggesting you friend your boyfriend's new girlfriend... for like the seventh day in a row.

Because you have mutual friends.

Really, Facebook?!

So by the time you leave- you drank your coffee-to-go 18 million hours earlier; you're angry at Facebook; and you're contemplating practicing your singing face in the mirror... it's time for emo-running.

What's emo-running, you ask?  Let me tell you!

Emo-running is when you have a fierce and furious need to run.  Preferably to sad or angry music.

Today, Mother Nature really made the emo-run with a downpour mid-pavement-pound.

Thank you, Mother Nature!

So I emo-ran, rain dripping down by face, "Fast Car" blasting in my ears.

Tomorrow, my alarm will go off at 4:45am. I'll get up at 5:30. I'll make coffee-to-go and arrive at work ready to see the smiling faces of my friends.

There won't be a need for emo-running; those only happen once in a while.

But there will be singing- and you better believe there will be a smile on my face.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...