Monday, October 24, 2011

Tune-Up

Ta-da!

My 1970-something Raleigh bike, looking like new!

Well, maybe not new. But close enough!

I decided that since right now is not the time to invest in a brand new bike- I may as well fix up the one I already have. So I bought a Groupon and despite the wide-eyed stares I got as I wheeled this bad boy through Sun & Ski to the bike department... I decided to go for the works. Lube up the gears. Replace the brake pads. Tighten the nuts and bolts.

My Raleigh deserves nothing but the best!

Of course the sweet bike enthusiast at the counter called me a few days later to make sure I wasn't doing any "serious riding" on this bike.

No worries there, buddy!  At least not yet. :)

The thing about tune-ups is that they're necessary. It's not always practical to trade the whole thing in and go brand new. I'm thinking about that a lot lately; I'm making my end-of-year doctor's appointments, prepping for my annual review at work and reflecting on all that was 2011; 2012 is just weeks away, you know. I'm tuning myself up- body, heart and mind.

Tune-ups are necessary. It's good to take a look at the gears.  Sometimes things get rusty or broken or just need a little TLC. It's important to replace the brake pads. We all need to stop every now and then. It's vital to get the alignment just right, the tires true. We've got to stay the course, keep pushing forward. The frame needs re-bending, the tires need air. Stand up straight and take a deep breath.

Yep, tune-ups are necessary. And even though the frame is still just a little bent out of shape (a certain car may or may not have run over the bike altogether recently) it's still standing strong.

A quick tune-up, and this bike is ready to rock and roll.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post! Your bike is super cute and I can totally relate to the "tune up" theme! I have been so busy lately and they're so many more things I need/want to do, but this next week I am going to take some time to do some of my own "tuning up"!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...