Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Little Magic

One bright day in the middle of the night
Two dead boys got up to fight.
Back to back they faced each other
Pulled their swords and shot each other.
A deaf policeman heard the noise
and came to kill the two dead boys.
If you don't believe this story tall,
ask the blind man- he saw it all.

Not your typical nursery rhyme, huh?  :) I will say one thing about this poem:

My entire family has it memorized and will say it in unison frequently.

From Disney princesses and dusty fairy tales found at my Nanny's house... to rhymes about dead men and songs about flying witches... fairy tales, folk lore, magic, has always been a part of my life.

And this time of year- Halloween, where ghosts and goblins and witches abound- it always stirs the pot (no pun intended) and makes my imagination run wild.

Oh, imagination. Is there anything more important to give to a child? And while my roots, my true beliefs, my foundation is my faith...

... I'll never turn down a story with a little magic.

Which is why I've so voraciously read these three novels the past three months.

All stories with a bit- OK, a lot- of magic. Wonderful, captivating stories of things we know not to be true. But when the moon is just right and the wind is howling and the leaves are changing colors and winter is knocking... just the kind of stories you want to curl up with and let your imagination run wild.


The Night Circus
By Erin Morgenstern

This book is beautifully written- the premise, a magic circus, a love story, a tale of choices and following your dreams. While I loved the concept- and truly, the writing is beautiful, full of imagery you can't imagine- I never could connect with the characters enough to fall in love with the book.  Still- a great read. And a movie in the making, I hear.
The Twelfth Enchantment
By David Liss

Enchanting is the perfect word for this book. Full of spells, mystery, romance, the right to freedom and even undertones of spirituality- I loved this book. I connected fully to the characters and found myself wishing it was a trilogy. Or at least would have a sequel.


A Discovery of Witches
By Deborah Harkness

This book was unlike anything I have ever read- a true discovery. This book made science fascinating, which for this anti-math/science girl is impressive! It's a mystery, a race against the clock, a forbidden romance (how can you resist a vampire, seriously) and with two more books on the way... I'm hooked.

A little magic for a magical season!

There was a little witch, who didn't know what to be
A happy witch? A wicked witch?
She had a choice, you see.
So she hopped up on her broom, and took her cat along
She circled all around the moon and sang this little song:
"Which witch shall I be?
Pumpkin says it's a mystery.
If you were a witch which would you be?
Oh which witch shall I be.
Shall I say booooo
or laugh with glee?
I'm wondering, I'm wondering,
Oh which witch shall I be?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...