Monday, October 17, 2011

Second Lap

Today feels like summer's last hurrah.  It started cool, hit warm and balmy around mid-day and ended breezy with storms on the horizon. Currently, it's thundering and lightning outside. If I didn't know better- I'd say this is any Oklahoma day in April or May.

But, it's mid-October! And winter is knocking. We had a few days of fall- more than we usually get- and now it's time to surrender to the cold. 

I took a walk tonight and soaked it all in; no running, just walking and breathing in the air, the trees with their leaves still intact, the dry, empty riverbed. All of that will change in just weeks.

Ah! The rain literally just started as I type this. Tomorrow it will dip into the 30's; maybe Old Man Winter is closer than we think.

All of this talk of changing seasons makes me very aware that I've come full circle in my house. I'm on my second seasonal lap. I embraced a fall with golden leaves in my first backyard; I shoveled snow off my driveway in the winter; I prepped my most interior guest room closet during a particularly tornado-threatening spring; and I woke up before the sun to run during a brutal, record-breaking summer.

Yep, the first lap is complete.

The house itself is closer than ever to feeling "finished." I'm picking up pieces I love, decorating it slowly and with care. As with a lot of things in my life, it's been a project. Sometimes slow and frustrating- searching for the perfect piece, saving money. But all in all- it's been one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. 

I can't wait to show you all pictures! But for now, a little more time. There are a few final touches before the big reveal.
So, in the meantime, thanks house.


For filling my home with family and food on Thanksgiving...


For reminding me to have hope...


For keeping me warm....



For keeping me cool...


For returning a piece of my heart....

And for being such a beautiful place to call home.

Winter, come on down.  I can't wait for lap two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...