Sunday, October 23, 2011

Unexpected

I had my first- and not last, I'm sure- major surprise expense as a homeowner this weekend.

My heater/AC unit... which so faithfully carried me through the double-dip snow storm this winter... and the record-breaking heat wave this summer... went kaput.

It's 10 years old, so it's not necessarily a shock. But when the technician broke the bad news Friday, I did what any strong, capable single homeowner does in that situation:

I bawled my eyes out.

Instead of my life flashing before my eyes, my "wish list" flashed before mine. A trip to Europe, a new bike, a Canon camera, and yes- several pairs of fabulous heels- all expenses I would have to put on hold for a new unit reeled through my mind. Gone! In a flash! Stupid AC. Dumb heater.

The good news? It's all going to be OK.  This is just a casualty of being a homeowner. The unit was replaced this weekend. And though I'm out a few bucks (ahem)... I worked out a payment plan that won't break the bank. Or dash my dreams completely.

I'm SO thankful for my parents- who walk me through these kinds of things. I'm thankful for a job that allows me to take care of these kinds of things. It's a small, tiny bump.

I'm sure I could make some major life ties here; bumps in the road happen. Ah, the joys of home ownership. It's not what happens, it's how you react.

But, I'm not going to. At the end of the day, my unit broke down. And I fixed it. And that's the end of it.

I'm going to appreciate the simplicity of it. Not everything in life can be fixed so quickly; this can, and for that I'm thankful.

So thankful, in fact- I might just go buy a pair of fabulous heels to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...