Sunday, September 12, 2010

New Dreams

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I am currently reading a great devotional by Sheila Walsh called "The Heartache No One Sees."

One of the chapters I read a few days ago told the story of Joseph.

I forgot about Joseph's story. He was sold into slavery by his brothers, wrongfully accused of adultery and put into prison.

But Joseph lived such a life in prison that he inspired others. In Genesis, it says, "whatever he did, the Lord made it prosper."

Despite being in prison, he accepted God's will for his life. Sheila said it like this: "He accepted the death of his dreams and waited for the fulfillment of God's plans."

I underlined that sentence. I let it soak and ruminate for a few days. And, I have to say- that sentence keeps popping into my head.

He accepted the death of his dreams. I just feel like that is SO powerful. Sometimes, we have to let go of the dreams we have for our lives to see the bigger picture of what God has planned for out lives. What his purpose is for us.

One of my biggest dreams came true on Friday. I made an offer on a house, and it was accepted! And yet I felt such a heavy weight that I didn't identify until late Friday. My dream was to make an offer on a house with someone else. To take pictures of Toby in his first house. My reality was a bit different.

But I have so much hope right now- more than I've had in a long time. I can't help but believe some of my dreams died to make way for bigger and better ones.

Kelly over at Kelly's Korner wrote a post similar to this today- about letting God "ruin" your life so he can build something great.

So, take heart! If you find some of your dreams "dying"... just wait and see what God has in store. That's what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...