Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Summer Funk

Yesterday morning, I woke up with a view of the lake in a quiet house. I promptly packed up the car and headed back to the "real world"- and went straight into work until 10pm last night.

Ah, such is life.

I had a wonderful, fun, refreshing weekend with my family at the lake house. My dad makes a new cocktail called "The Lake House Special" that is--- well, special! We played lots of Mexican Train, watched fireworks, swam in the lake, water skied. Summer, in a nutshell.

And now I'm back- and last night, I was in a royal funk. Sometimes you have to shake yourself out of it- and sometimes, you have to indulge yourself. I did the latter- with a almost-too-hot bath and a glass of wine.

Why the funk? Who knows. The funk comes, the funk goes. (I may have a future in song writing?!)

I think sometimes those quiet morning at the lake remind me of a different kind of life- one that is slow and peaceful and not stressful, with lots of lake house specials. One that always seems just out of reach.

But then- if that was every day life- what would make the lake house.... special?

Ah, yes. Deep thought for a Tuesday. See? This is the funk I mentioned.

Why the funk? Who knows. The funk comes, the funk goes...

It's catchy and you know it.

In other news, I've hit my summer stride when it comes to reading. I'm devouring one good book after another.



This weekend, I read "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn. I read it fast- just two days- and I was totally swept up in it. It's a mystery/thriller. Not my typical genre, but a perfect summer read!


Now, I've moved onto "Gold" by Chris Cleave. I've been waiting for this book to come out for months. It's on a bunch of "must-read" lists- plus it's about two friends, cyclists, competing for the Olympic Gold. Um, I'm sold. I started it last night- and I'm already hooked. Great story.


And Shadow of Night comes out next week! I've been waiting ONE YEAR for this sequel to Discovery of Witches, which I consumed last summer. I can't wait. These books are a tough read- lots of information- but the story is SO enthralling. I love a book that can't be read in one weekend, that drags out a bit.

So there you have it. While I wait out this funk, you can find me on the couch in the bathtub on the back patio- with my best imitation of a Lake House Special- and a good book!

And if I envision a quiet house on the lake while I'm at it, no one will know.

1 comment:

  1. Hey friend, we all get into funks every once in awhile, why I found myself in one a couple of weeks ago!It's funny, I think I started on a reading kick then too! Now you have given some more to look into. Miss you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...