Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Fit For Battle (Resolution #1)

As this week wraps up, I find myself more & more eager and anxious to be home with my family.

It's been a tough week. Shouldn't the week before Christmas be easy? Everyone in a festive mood, work projects low priority, thankfulness abounding?

Even our beloved family cat Belle ran away for a brief period of time today! But she returned, so all is well.

Oh well- it's not about how we feel, but about the reason for it all, right? When you put it in perspective, it all fades away in light of the glorious gift we received Christmas so many years ago.

On that (lighter) note- let's talk resolutions!

I'm officially kicking off my "12 Resolutions for 2012" and I'm starting with...

....drum roll please...

Resolution #1: Complete A Race Every Quarter


Fitness has become a huge priority for me this year. I found that when I started working out regularly- not only did I lose the pounds I started to begrudge but I also saw instant health benefits. My stress level become lower. My breathing, easier. I felt lighter in general- better able to maneuver the ups & downs of life.



I started to crave the rush of endorphins I felt following a good run, a challenging bike ride or a refreshing swim. Training for a sprint triathlon allowed me to challenge myself in ways I never imagined. Truly- the memories of the day I purchased a helmet and swim cap will forever live with me- first and foremost because this fair-skinned, red-headed non-athlete was, finally, an official athlete.


So in 2012, I want to commit to a race every quarter. So far, I have two lined up: The Indoor Whole Person Sprint Triathlon in January; and the Oklahoma City Memorial Half Marathon in May.

And dual training for those races at the moment? Challenging. But in the best way possible.

Challenges will always come our way- even the week before Christmas. It's how we handle it that matters.

And when I feel healthy & fit- as I hope to in 2012- I feel ready to tackle any challenge that comes my way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...