Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Letting Go

Tonight's post is a sort of follow-up to last night's post, and I didn't even set out to do that. I love it when I write about something one night, and then the next night... it all seems to make a bit more sense. So, here's the "sequel." :)

I am a stick-it-out kind of girl. I put everything I have into my work, my relationships. That was probably ingrained in me at an early age, when I wanted to quit piano lessons or girl scouts, and I wasn't allowed to. Even though I did eventually quit- it taught me that quitting shouldn't ever be easy.

I think that's why I have felt stretched so thin lately. I have a lot of things pulling me in different directions, and if I'm not careful- I start to lose a little bit of "me." I get tired and weepy and whiny. Because quitting isn't an option, but draining myself dry... is.

But, in the past 24 hours, I've felt the sting of heartache all over again. I've taken a long walk with my co-workers and laughed a lot, and I cried over dinner with one of my best friends.

These are the moments that remind me who I am. What I stand for. These moments of testing and truth remind me what's important no matter how many directions I'm pulled in.

These moments rejuvinate me and remind me that many of the things that are stretching me thin are things I care about, things that are worth my time, things that make me happy, things that fill me up. Things I should make a priority, not just another item on my to-do list.

And these moments also remind me of the things- and yes, even people- I need to let go of. The things that hurt and dissapoint, the things that drain me dry. I find myself wanting to write a disclaimer to this statement- because, after all, i'm the stick it out girl- but sometimes, the best favor you do for yourself is forgiving and letting go.

I think it's a very good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...