Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Listen Up

This week is really flying by.

I started the week thinking it would drag on and on.

That always happens when you have an exciting weekend ahead- in this case, my good friend Hilary's wedding!

But instead- it's flipped by. A stack of clothes still waits to go to Goodwill. I need to run errands, do laundry, pick up the house.

But instead of getting a head start on any of those things- I just wanted to get real for a few minutes about my life these days.

I've mentioned it a time or two- how I started a new job this month, working at FOX.

And it's going- really well. I can't believe how easy it was to jump back into TV!

I'm still remembering/re-learning new things- but for the most part, I get to come into work every day... select the news stories... put my show together... and see it through on-air.

And while that sounds like a lot of work- and it is- it's also been such a breath of fresh air.

I really believe God points us in a certain direction every now and then. Like- maybe we have blinders on and can't see clearly ahead- so he just takes control and steers us onto a whole new road.

That's how I felt for a long time before this month rolled around. I was sort of in a fog; unclear of what needed to come next, but knowing I needed a change.

My heart- my world- was wrapped up in the wrong thing.

And now- the windshield has been wiped clean. The course still seems uncertain, but we're moving in the right direction.

I've realized I'm now in a season of listening. My world isn't consumed by any one thing; work isn't my core function every day.

Instead, my day includes lazy mornings with coffee and my devotional. Long bike rides and runs. And work is a rewarding part of my day; it's not the whole of my day. Does that make sense?

All this to say, I have more time to think and listen. Nothing seems quite so urgent at the moment. Life is being relished and lived- instead of hurried through, another day checked off.

Oh! And speaking of checklists! I used to have a meticulous, loooong checklist waiting for me at my desk every day. Of things to do- at work, after work, at home, on the phone, in between meetings, etc.

The checklist is still there, of course. It's just shorter. It serves it's function- in precise bullet points.

So, that's my world these days. A refreshing change of pace, and a season to just sit back a little bit and listen.

It's good right?

Spend time listening: check

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for you! You seem so relaxed and just in such a good place! Glad you are getting more time for you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...