Wednesday, June 27, 2012

For The Love of Writing

I've heard people who work in TV- especially producers- lose their love of writing, because that's what they do all day long.

It took me a few weeks to get back "in the grove" of writing an hour long newscast, every day. To be fair- with commercials included- it's probably around 30 minutes of actual news. 29 to 30 stories total.

And each story- needs to make it's mark. It's not just writing the words; it's thinking about how to present the stories. Which anchor will read them. What graphics you will include. Will there be an "over the shoulder" graphic? Will you have bullet points of information? Is there a picture or video?

Lots of things to think about.

I'm getting into the swing of it. I can churn out a quick story in just minutes. I have a better grasp of the overall flow of the show. It's easier to put the pieces together and see the big picture.

And oddly enough- writing news every day doesn't make me want to write less; it makes me want to write more.

I write in a journal in the morning. I write to-do lists all day long. Then I go to work and write scripts. And lately, I've wanted to jump in here more often and update my blog.

I think part of that- is a need to write what I want to write. You've heard the phrase- the news usually writes itself; but Lindsay's Lounge, or my journal, needs my thoughts and opinions and prayers.

Life, in my own words.

Another part of it- is making it a habit. I thrive off of daily routine. A routine of fitness, of quiet time- and now, writing is once again front and center. It keeps my creative juices flowing.

There's always a danger of discovering what you love- and making a living out of it.  It could get old, tiresome, stale.

But I think when we're doing what we're truly called to do- something just clicks into place.

I don't know if I will be a news producer forever- but I will certainly always be a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...