Wednesday, August 1, 2012

In Another Decade...

Do the weeks seem to be flying by for anyone else? I keep thinking to myself- it was just May! It was just March! It was just January!

August 1st, 2012. Last August was such a fun month. San Diego for the BlogHer Convention with my mom and sister (sad to miss it this year!); my first sprint triathlon; baking pies at The Pioneer Woman's ranch.

Since I started my new job in May- I wasn't allowed to take vacation for a few months. I'm about halfway through that "probation" period, if you will- and I am SO looking forward to taking a day or two off! And with football season around the corner- I think I know how I'll be spending those days.

But even when I don't get a nice, tidy vacation day- I'm trying to make more room in my life for the things I want to do- not just things I need to do.

Last weekend, I escaped for a quick getaway weekend to the lake with some girlfriends. And I don't think I realized how much I needed it- until I was there. There's something about sitting around a kitchen table- with girls who know you inside and out- and sharing our hearts.

10 years ago, we sat around that same table, in that same lake house, dreaming about what our life would look like 10 years down the road. Marriage, careers, kids- we had it all mapped out!

Some of those dreams have broken our hearts; relationships that don't work out, jobs that don't pan out. And others have come true tenfold.

Ah, life. Right?

I'm working on not feeling so guilty about things. Saying no to people, saying yes to opportunities that excite me. Fighting for my free time, my happiness. Standing firm in my expectations.

And sometimes a trip down memory lane- chatting with old friends- helps you remember what's important.

I guess it's OK that the weeks- months- years!- are flying by. 10 years ago, we talked about our dreams for the future. This weekend, we talked about our lives today- our relationships, marriages, bank accounts, siblings, parents, spiritual journeys. And 10 years from now...

... I guess we'll just have to gather around that old table and see!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see what the next ten years has in store for you!! It will no doubt be amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...