Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sprinting

As much as I love the hustle and bustle that comes with my week- meetings, emails, dinner & drinks with friends- it's the routine that I always love the most.

Through the craziness of the past month, there were several routines that kept me pushing onward, that kept me sane- one of those things being a looming sprint triathlon to train for.

Squeezing in training sessions on top of long days isn't always easy. There was one excruciatingly long day in there that almost sent me over the edge, one night before the True Blue premiere. I worked a 10 hour day that started at 6am. I did a 2 hour rehearsal for the premiere immediately after work. And then, I went to swim my laps, my triathlon just days away.

The weariness was more palpable than the chlorine, my arms like lead. But I kept pushing- and with each lap, my stress melted away. I re-centered.

I've written before about swimming. I like high-impact sports, like running. I enjoy the muscle tone I get from biking. But swimming allows me to relax and release stress on a different level- because it's so fundamental.

Lifting your arms, kicking your legs, taking deep gulps of air.

The day of the sprint triathlon, I felt rested and ready. I was proud of myself for continuing my training, despite the long days and stress leading up to it. And I beat my personal best on the swim time- giving me confidence to push into a decent bike time and a strong run time.

There are times we need rest- so important. And there are times we need to keep pushing- because the reward gives you the strength you need to keep moving.

I am quickly becoming a huge fan of triathlons- because I love the variety, the challenge, the pace. Any surprise? It seems to be how I live my life, too... sprinting from one thing to the next.

I've already signed up for the next one- a big one in May.

But the biggest thing I learned? No matter how busy you are, how much is on your plate... make time for the things that center you.

The premiere and triathlon were just days apart; but because I kept my priorities in check, I loved every second of each of those events. I'd do it all again this week.

Who's with me?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...