Sunday, March 18, 2012

Savoring The Stillness

Well hi, friends!

I know it's been a while. Finally, all of those posts about being so incredibly busy caught up with me and the ultimate crash occurred: on the heels of a nasty cold, I got the flu- which knocked me out for days!

Sometimes we need those little "wake-up" calls, even if it's in the form of a shivering, feverish, aching mess. Even if your family gets to go to the lake and you don't. But I heard the message, loud & clear: too much! I needed a break, and so my body checked out on me.

I got lots of sleep. My wonderful, thoughful friends drove me to the doctor, left soup on my doorstep & mailbox. My mom came up for some TLC. And two weeks later, I'm finally feeling better.

Yesterday, in defiance of the whole sick thing, I ran the St. Patrick's Day 5K in my neighborhood. I had to walk a couple of times, but it was so nice to just do it- do put my legs and lungs to work. Being healthy is SUCH a blessing! Certainly something to appreciate.

But also something to appreciate- being still. One of my favorite Bible versus has always been Psalm 46:10, which starts "Be still, and know that I am God." That whole "being still" thing can be so challenging for me. But when you're sick, you appreciate it so much more. And not just because when your fever soars to 102 you literally have to be still to keep your head from spinning- but because it puts so much in perspective!

Things get taken care of at work. Unanswered emails eventually get tackled. Friends & family come to your rescue. And you get so wrapped up in the Hunger Games that you can't stop reading for days.

Really, you just discover that all of those "must-do's" and stressful things weighing down on you are not worth the stress at all. Worth your time and passion and attention, yes- but when it gets that stressful, that burdonsome- it's time to take a step back and re-evaluate.

Funny how a fever can make you delerious and clear-headed, all at once!

So, I'm back in action. Back to the emails, back to the running, back to the grind. But I'm also taking it easy; enjoying my successes, my health.

Busy and still, all at once.

Sometimes you have to seek out those still moments, and sometimes they smack you in the face- but I challenge everyone, me included, to find those "still" moments this week and savor them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...